Tuesday, August 28, 2012

On Forgiveness

The first time I remember the subject of forgiveness coming up for serious consideration in my life was some years ago, one night while my mother was at prayer meeting and my father and I were home together, watching the news on TV, occasionally commenting on the things that they were saying.

My father was a Christian: a follower of the Christ. He strove in every way to be as much like Him as he could be. It is my familial conceit that he did not miss the mark by far.

Charles Manson had just been sentenced and Walter Cronkite was recapping the crimes that evil man had done.

My father turned to me, an indication that he truly meant the thing he was about to say, and said, "William, I have never hated any man. I had hoped I never would. I do not like to say it but I hate that Charles Manson." He then got up and went into the bedroom, I am convinced, to pray.

The word "forgiveness" was not uttered. It is only now, as an old man, that I understand the word hung in the air above our heads that night and it was, in part, the burning of that bright word that so troubled my so suffering father.

The incident was not mentioned for many years. When it was, I was a grown man, my father was old, and all he said was, "William, I've forgiven Charles Manson."

I am now in the Huddle House, writing this and having coffee. I had no real understanding until I typed the words that you just read and realized that tears were flowing down my face. I am SO glad he got that done.

My friends, we have all recited The Lord's Prayer many times I'm sure. Recited it perhaps until the words have lost their meaning.

Luke 11:1: And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.
2: And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
3: Give us day by day our daily bread.
4: And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

"... forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us."

And then there's this:

Mark 11:26: But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

I don't know who may be reading this. I'm sorry but I know that you're a sinner. Maybe a little bitty one, or maybe a great big one, even so big as me – although you can trust me when I say that is unlikely.


I do know this: God sent His Son to suffer, horribly, and die a terrible death to pay for my forgiveness. And that forgiveness sits there, waiting for me to need it. There is more of it than I will ever use. And it is absolutely free.

If you will confess your sins to Him, He will forgive them, instantly, no questions, no lectures, no switches or belts. Just forgiveness, freely given.

So far as I can tell, I have forgiven all who have offended me. I shall, as best I can, continue.

Now, one last thing: Please, realize this: If I am offended, and do not forgive, I have within my soul a cancer, eating, growing, consuming and impeding every effort that I make in life.

Is there someone in your life you love? And there is unforgiveness in your heart for someone else? Your love, my friend, is tainted. The love you give has, hidden in it, those cancerous cells you carry.

Purge them.

Please.

P.S. I wrote this, then sat it aside so that I could come back and edit it objectively. During the passage of time I saw a news report on TV. It spoke of the President speaking well of Michael Vick.

It made me search my soul.

As my father hated Manson I hate Vick.

I shall publish this, go home and, in a private place, I'll pray. I'll pray until I can forgive that hateful man. I won't forget. I'll watch him like a hawk lest he offend again. But, in the meantime, I shall forgive him and shall do as I am so clearly commanded: I shall love him, whatever effort it shall cost me.

No comments:

Post a Comment